Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A little update, but no promises . . .

Summer training is well on its way. I am now starting my fourth week of training and am feeling much stronger than I ever have at this point in the year. I have a very hopeful outlook on the season. Laura, Weirdo, and I just got back from a specific strength session out at the rockcut; 10 x 150m both single stick and double pole. These felt hard like they should, but not undoable, like they shouldn't. I have been using Jenny Ryan's Swenor classic skis and they enable me to complete workouts like specific strength, with my Marwes, I have little hope of making it to the end of the workout. Sten wants us -- urg, Odin just let loose one of his famously sticky farts, urg -- to all buy new rollerskis for the fall. I wouldn't mind some new skis, but right now, when the parents just told me "no unexpected costs" I don't really feel like I can afford them. Maybe new wheels for my Marwes, but even those are $40 bucks a pop, and by 8 wheels, $320 is just a little steep for my income as of right now. But then again, much cheaper than buying new, even with our "awesome, keep-your-lips-shut deal" So, we'll just have to see if Sten replies to my email regarding that issue. But I should probably take care of that issue soon, seeing as J.R. apparently wasn't too thrilled about me borrowing her skis.

Speaking of income, I'm now earning a steady paycheck at Doncker's Candy store. They have a gourmet lunch counter upstairs and we're starting with an expanded menu as soon as they can install our new flat-top grill. I'm the lowest rung on a three person ladder in the kitchen, I suppose I'm even the lowest rung on the whole staff ladder, seeing as I'm still the newest employee. Regardless, I'm allowed a lot of responsibility and flexibility at work. In fact, everyday on my way to work I have to remind myself to be more independent so as not to get on Nick's case. It's just such a different experience then we're allowed at school. I almost wish for more sometimes, there are certain menu items, or ways Nick does things that I feel could be improved upon. But since I'm essentially a pawn as a line chef, there isn't much room for doing my own thing outside of where it's expected. It's a lot of fun working there, they are a fairly new establishment and still very enthusiastic about most things, I can put in a good 35 hours a week there if and when we get busy, tourist season hasn't really started quite yet.

Other than training and work, I haven't been up to a whole lot. Been living in Laura and Matt's basement since the 1st and am well ready to move into Neilson's house on Michigan on Monday, hopefully I can convince Tim to help with the move again, even though that all ended rather poorly last time. All the big stuff is already there and I can arrange it myself, so the move shouldn't' be too bad. I am so looking forward to having my own space again, it's been wonderful to have someplace to crash, but I want to set up house and home again. That was all a part of the fun last summer, being in my own place. The house is literally a three minutes walk to the beach, and probably three minutes closer to work, which will be nice when I sleep in. This means it's also further from the ski room, school, and Tim's house, but what can you do. The warm-up jog to weights in the morning will be longer, which is good, more like 15 instead of 10. The house still has laundry (a necessity for me) but still no gas range or dishwasher. Oh well, I think I've almost gotten used to just washing everything by hand. I know I will really need to focus on being neat and cleanly when using the common areas in the house, Neilson's going to be a doctor after all and keeps things pretty tidy. We do have a bathtub! I will most likely bleach it first, but I picture candle-lit bubble baths with Miles Davis playing in the background and much cuddling and sleeping in to follow . . . ah the life.

SO I hope this reflects an accurate picture of my life right now. Remember, this entry doesn't mean there will be more/frequent posts to follow, I just felt like having a beer and typing
:)

1 comment:

mcassidy25 said...

I'm so glad you've FINALLY updated this thing!!! You're such a great writer, you make me laugh out loud on many an occasion:) I love hearing about your life in your town!